Springfield, Illinois, April 22, 2017- The Springfield & Central Illinois African American History Museum is seeking nominations from communities throughout Central Illinois for its 6th Annual Honoring Our Heritage Award to be presented during the 2017 Gala held on October 26, 2017. The Honoring Our Heritage Award recognizes those who have made significant contributions to the Springfield & Central Illinois communities. Nominations must be received electronically or post marked by 5:00pm, Thursday, June 15, 2017.
“While we are based in Springfield, our mission encompasses all of Central IL the people who live in its communities, and the contributions they make. We want to know who they are and how they have contributed; thus we look forward to this year’s nomination process and the participation from all of Central IL,” said Douglas E. King, President. “We want to honor outstanding citizens that have made lasting contributions to their communities so that their legacy might inspire and motivate others to give of themselves for the good of others.”
2017 Nomination Criteria:
- Nominate someone who has made very significant contributions or accomplishments to African-Americans in Central Illinois (alive or deceased). You may make more than one nomination but you must follow nomination criteria for each individual nominee.
- The person has not been honored or recognized by the Springfield & Central Illinois African-American History Museum.
- Summarize the major contributions that make the person worthy of the Museum honoring her or him (no more than two pages). If you use someone else’s writing or statement, make sure to identify the source so we are not guilty of plagiarism. Separately summarize the major individual contributions of the nominee. Make sure that all vital information you submit is correct.
- The person should have lived or is living in Central Illinois including the areas in and around Springfield, Decatur, Jacksonville, Lincoln, Bloomington and Normal, Champaign and Urbana and Peoria (Official Central Counties observed by museum below).
Central Illinois Counties:
Region 1- Sangamon, Menard, Macon, Christian, Montgomery, Shelby, Moultrie
Region 2- Tazewell, McLean, Ford, Mason, Logan, Dewitt, Piat
Region 3- Iroquois, Vermillion, Champaign, Douglas, Edgar, Coles, Clark, Cumberland
Region 4- Pike, Jersey, Calhoun, Scott, Macoupin, Morgan, Green, and the city of Alton
Region 5- Adams, Brown, Schuyler, Hancock, McDonough, Fulton, Case
- Provide the full name of the person, telephone number, email address if available and mailing address.
- Provide your full name, telephone number, email address if available, and mailing address.
- Submit nomination no later than June 15th, 2017 by email. Forward email to Ocheng Jany at firstname.lastname@example.org or email Ernestine Lawrence at email@example.com. You may also mail your nomination to the Museum using the address below:
Springfield & Central Illinois African American History Museum
Attention: 2017 Honoree Nominations
P. O. Box 301
Springfield, Illinois 62705-0301
For more information visit our website at www.spiaahm.org or call Gala Co-Chairs: Ocheng Jany 217/553-5380 or Ernestine Lawrence 217/726-5698.
About SCIAAHM: The Springfield & Central Illinois African American History Museum exhibits, identifies, collects, catalogs, restores, houses and maintains documents and artifacts relating to and chronicling the history and legacy of African-Americans in Central Illinois. The Museum provides research opportunities, educational programming and interpretive services to historians, educators, students and others interested in the lives and legacies of African-Americans in Central Illinois while enhancing their overall knowledge about African-American people.